Teen Pregnancy Facts
- Approximately one million girls become pregnant in the United States each year.
- 40% are under the age of 17.
- The US has the highest rate of teen pregnancy among developed nations.
- Taxpayers spend approximately $7 billion a year to cover the social costs of adolescent pregnancy.
- 4 in 10 girls become pregnant at least once before the age of 20.
- The number one age group for contracting STDs is between 15-24 years old.
- One quarter of all new HIV infections in the US are in the 13-20 age group.
- Only 1/3 of teen mothers receive a high school diploma.
- Sons of teen mothers are 13% more likely to end up behind bars as are other young men.
To obtain information on teen pregnancy prevention, contact your local Family Planning office or visit the following informational links:
Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Links
Page Last Modified: Wed Nov 06 2013